Partnership with Families
What is partnership with families?
The role of Partnership with Families is to strengthen and develop links between home, school and other agencies. At Southview, it is an area which is considered to be key to the success of all our students, and fundamental to the way we run our school. Parent and carer input is essential in order to move the school forward and provide a holistic and positive experience for all our children.
What has partnership with families achieved so far?
Parent focus groups
We are now operating at least one meeting per term which all parents are invited to. So far, we have discussed:
- What is working well at school and what could work better.
- The role of the Special Schools Nurse, useful contacts and possible parent workshops.
- Eating and swallowing audit led by the Speech and Language Therapist.
In order to achieve a substantial amount of evidence and feedback, several questionnaires have been compiled and sent to parent/carers to gauge opinions. The information which is collated is then used to highlight areas in which the school is succeeding and others which may need changing or developing.
Family link workers
We have a service for parents/carers who feel at some time that they may need a period of more intense support. This could be because they have recently joined the school, their child may be going through a transition stage or they may be experiencing some difficulty with their child at home or out in the community. Whatever the reason, our two Family Link Workers, Hayley Davies and Nikki Hammond are there to provide support and a link to help the learner and their family progress and work effectively within the home, school and community.
What are we working towards?
- An established Parent Focus Group which may grow to form a ‘Friends of the school’.
- Regular Parent Workshops – Providing information, practical help and advice on issues such as communication, health, therapy, homework and transition.
- Updating welcome packs and information provided in the school prospectus – including signposting to useful organisations and clubs.
- Auditing and sending questionnaires to outside agencies to improve links.
And above all……. ensuring that your son/daughter and your family have the best possible experience at Southview School!